The Rosemary James Memorial Trust Award
Rosemary (Rosy) James died in 2010, having bequeathed over £500,000 to establish an annual bursary in her name to help artists, designers and makers to pursue their careers by developing a new body of work. ‘The Rosy James Bursary’ will be administered by the Arts Council on behalf of the Rosemary James Trust. The value of the annual award is up to £15,000.
Who can apply?
This unique award is directed at makers steeped in practice using materials singly or in combination. Such materials might include fired clay or glass; fine or base metals; textiles using any kinds of applications; wood; plastics; paper or other materials not included in this list, where the emphasis is based upon the transformation of materials through the use of sustained practice towards a series of critical outcomes.
It aims to assist makers to investigate and develop a body of work which would otherwise be unaffordable.
The period of the award will culminate in an exhibition of work on public display in Northern Ireland.
How to apply?
What can you apply for
The main thrust is to be directed towards the body of work but may also provide assistance towards
- Travel abroad to pursue additional skills, training or research
- Residencies/Master classes
- Research (materials, technology, practices)
Collaboration with makers and artists in other disciplines
What you cannot apply for
- Self-Commissioning or publishing costs
- Prolonged study at centres of further and higher education
- Work that forms part of under-graduate or post-graduate study or is intended to be assessed as part of an academic course
- Work which forms part of your professional or academic employment. This does not exclude those working in an academic institution or statutory body who are continuing to pursue their crafts practice
- Study leading to a professional qualification
- Applications to fund or establish websites
- Applications relating to projects/commissions already in receipt of Arts Council of Northern Ireland National Lottery funds
Applications relating to residencies or rent of premises at venues already in receipt of Arts Council funding (for example, residencies to the Tyrone Guthrie Centre).
Deadline for Applications
The deadline for applications is Thursday 18th October 2018 at 4pm
Decisions will be made by Friday 30th November 2018