Young Musicians’ Platform Award
The Arts Council of Northern Ireland, in collaboration with BBC Northern Ireland, offers awards for young, exceptionally talented solo musicians/singers in Classical, Jazz and Traditional Music who are ready to enter the professional world as artists. The financial award associated with this scheme will allow applicants to spend a sizeable amount of time learning from a master musician/ teacher/composer etc. abroad. The BBC will facilitate this scheme by offering two professional broadcast performances to 5 successful applicants, in the period January – December 2019.
Who can apply?
- Individual classical, jazz and traditional musicians who reside in or originate from Northern Ireland;
- Lower age limit of 18 and up to an age limit of 26 for instrumental players, and 29 for singers;
- Classical, jazz and traditional musicians who have made a meaningful contribution to artistic activities in Northern Ireland;
- Applicants must have reached a high standard of public performance as indicated within the references and as demonstrated with a solo recording of 2 contrasting works of no more than 8 minutes each
The following are not eligible:
- Applications for prolonged study at centres of further or higher education. However, applications involving short-term attendance at centres of further education will be considered if the proposed master/artist is accessible only through this route.
- Applications from previous recipients of a Young Musicians’ Platform award.
|Young Musicians' Platform Reference Form|
|Young Musicians' Platform Sample Application Form|
|Young Musicians' Platform Guidance Notes|
Final selection will be by audition lasting no longer than 10 minutes. Auditions will be held in Belfast from 19 to 21 November 2018. An Audition Panel consisting of representatives of the BBC, ACNI and independent adjudicators will select extracts from the applicant’s programme to include 3 contrasting pieces in style and period, one of which will be contemporary. Reasonable expenses will be paid for return travel to and from Belfast.
Additional support material required
All applicants must submit two references from professional musicians/teachers/promoters on the Reference Forms included within the application form and a recording of 2 contrasting works of no more than 8 minutes each.