We look for the work of emerging as well as established artists.
The Arts Council recognises the importance of purchasing contemporary work as a means of supporting artists, stimulating the art market and developing a culture in which visual art is appreciated.
Priority is given to artists whose work is challenging and innovative. We look for the work of emerging as well as established artists.
Works in all media are considered, including painting, sculpture, crafts, print, photography and newer art forms such as digital and video work.
Works are considered against the criteria of:
• Quality, innovation and the challenging nature of the piece
• Evidence of the artist’s achievements
• The artist’s contribution to the arts in Northern Ireland
• The relevance of the purchase to the furtherance of the artist’s career
• The relevance of the purchase to the Arts Council’s funding objectives.
The Arts Council will consider accepting gifts to the collection although such work is assessed against the same criteria as works considered for purchase.
The Acquisitions panel has an annual budget of to spend on new works, their documentation and transportation.