The Arts Council has designed this programme to increase the quality of music-making in the community by helping bands to replace worn-out instruments and purchase new instruments.
Particular priority will be given to applications which can demonstrate:
- high quality musicianship;
- a commitment to training and musical education, particularly of young people; and
- a commitment to repertoire and technique development in relation to the band’s existing repertoire and technical standards.
Who can apply?
The Arts Council welcomes applications from the widest possible range of organisations and in particular from applicants whose projects benefit individuals categorised under Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998. In addition, in order to be eligible to apply to this programme, please note the following:
- This scheme is open to bands based in Northern Ireland, which are formally constituted.
- The following types* of bands are eligible for this scheme: Accordion Orchestra/Band (part, melody or marching), Brass Band, Concert Band, Flute Band (part, melody or marching), Pipe Band, Wind Band
Who Cannot Apply?
- Bands who have received a Musical Instruments for Bands Programme award between January 2018 and March 2023
- Organisations who are in breach of the terms of any previous ACNI grant awards
- Bands who are not of the types listed above*
What you can apply for
- Drum heads
- Drum sticks / brushes
- Effects pedals
- Electro-acoustic equipment
- Instrument amplifiers
- iPads *
- Instrument cases
- Instrument leads
- Instrument maintenance
- Instrument stands
- Recording equipment
- Music stands
- PA Systems
- Shoulder rests
- Specialist stools where necessary
What you cannot apply for
- Second-hand instruments
- Travel Costs
- Tuition Costs
Please note that this list is not exhaustive. If you have any queries about eligibility, you should contact and speak with the relevant art form officer before submitting an application
How to apply?
You must apply using our online system. We will not accept applications in hard copy or by email.
- Online applications may be edited, saved and returned up to the closing date.
- You must submit all mandatory enclosures associated with the application at the same time as your application, i.e. they must be uploaded to your online application prior to its submission. These enclosures are listed on the attachments page within the online application and in the guidance notes.
- Please ensure that you leave sufficient time to upload all documents to the system as there can be long delays as the closing deadline approaches and the system will shut down at 12noon precisely on the closing date Monday 2 October 2023. If your complete application is not fully uploaded when the system closes, your application will not be accepted.
- If you submit your application by the closing deadline, you will receive an automated email advising that your application has been successfully submitted to the system. If you do not receive this email, your application has not been submitted.
Please remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that we receive the application form and uploaded enclosures by the closing time and date.